Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pawpaw Fruits???

If
I went to my parents' house to dig up some more pawpaws. The four previous trees that I transplanted from their yard suffered no ill effects, which is strange considering how fragile pawpaws are. My parents' pawpaws seem to be robust. I have learned that pawpaws like to be mulched by fallen leaves, twigs, and bark. This debris enriches the soil and helps hold in the moisture.
My only concern is that they are all clones of the same plant and therefore unable to pollinate one another. Well, I inspected my parents pawpaw trees and it seems that the largest tree has the start of little fruits. I hope that this is the case because this would make me think that all the pawpaws are not clones of each other. Maybe several birds or possums ate pawpaws from some other location and excreted several pawpaw seeds. If different seeds germinated, then all the pawpaws would not be clones of each other. I guess it will be several years before I figure this out.
If the fruit start to develop, I am going to cover them with some sort of netting or breathable bag so that the wild critters don't eat them before I do. I have never tasted a pawpaw, but Lord willing, perhaps I'll get the chance the coming fall. I am so excited to be learning about pawpaws. It's hard to believe that my parents have had them growing in their backyard for at least 5-10 years judging from the size of some of the trees and no one knew what they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment