Thursday, April 12, 2012

Peach Fruitlet Thinning

As much as it agonized me, I thinned my peach fruitlets today. My research indicates the sooner the peaches are thinned, the better. I don't know exactly how to select a viable peach from a non-viable peach, so I plucked off the smallest fruitlets and those that appeared to have a blemish. Really, I had to remove some that I felt were perfectly normal just so that I could remove enough to conserve sugars and energy for the remaining fruitlets and growing stems. I still need to remove at least 6 more peaches; according to my research, I should probably quit 10 more fruitlets given the small size of the tree. I am going to wait until they get a little bigger. I don't want to take off all the fertilized peaches and the ones left on the tree be unfertilized and eventually drop off. Then I'd be left with nothing. I really don't know how to discern a fertilized peach from an unfertilized one. Oh well, ya just gotta hate the learning curve.
I was curious, so I dissected a couple fruitlets. Not much to report. Just a peach in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment